employU has partnered with Orange County Public Schools High School High Tech (HSHT) Program to offer students career preparation experiences they can leverage upon completing high school. During this year-long program, students will participate in Self-Advocacy Classes and Pre-Employment Training Workshops where they will acquire independent living skills, create a resume, prepare for interviews, and leave ready to begin their journey in the workforce. Additionally, students will have many opportunities to explore a variety of career fields and positions by learning from guest speakers and industry experts, job shadowing, touring local worksites, and even gaining job-specific skills through on-the-job trainings.
By participating in this year-long learning experience students will learn:
- Skills such as relationship building, goal setting, resume building, job search methods, application tips, and interviewing skills through Pre-Employment Training.
- How to advocate for one’s needs and wants, uncover one’s interests, practice positive thinking, and set realistic goals in the Self-Advocacy Workshop.
- Valuable industry skills as you gain work experience through on-the-job training with our Career Camps.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT PLACEMENT TRAINING (PPT)
Our Pre-Employment Placement Training (PPT) is a program designed to engage participants while covering topics such as self-esteem and motivational skills, verbal and non-verbal communication, “selling yourself” to a potential employer, interview skills and resume building, networking, and mock interviews. Participants will build valuable relationships with our staff and other customers as they learn how to:
- Structure a resume that matches what employers are looking for
- Conduct multiple job search methods in order to find the right job
- Overcome today’s challenges with applications and personality assessments
- Interview professionally and gain confidence in your presentation skills
SELF ADVOCACY WORKSHOP
The Self-Advocacy Workshop is an interactive training where participants will learn by doing while having fun in a safe, positive environment. Much of the program is spent on what is appropriate when on the job. Role-playing methods are used to develop conflict resolutions and decision-making skills. At the end of the course, participants will have the confidence to speak for themselves and will have learned how to:
- Effectively communicate their needs and feelings
- Implement positive thinking
- Set and takes steps to achieve realistic goals
- Discover their own interests and skills
Career Camps are a week-long experience of exploration into different career fields for students to discover there are more opportunities available to them than they ever imagined! Career Camps are hosted by employU across the state, from West Palm Beach to Jacksonville. Students who participate in this program are offered the opportunity to explore a wide array of manufacturing positions from assembly to high-tech product testing and specialized product development. These hands-on learning experiences take place at a partner business work site where students will;
- Explore career opportunities
- Gain valuable skills
- Build connections
PAID WORK-BASED EXPERIENCES
employU’s Paid Work-Based Learning Experience Program generates opportunities to gain real work experience. We partner with a variety of local businesses to offer different learning experiences for each student. When a student first enrolls in our program, an employU specialist meets with them one-on-one to develop a customized plan based on their preferences.
The job coach accompanies the student on their first day of work and checks in on them regularly throughout the program duration to ensure adequate support is provided. Each experience averages between one to two months and students may repeat their participation as desired during their eligibility period. At the conclusion of each Paid Work-Based Learning experience, students have:
- Gained valuable skills
- Developed solid work references
- Built strong connections for future employment