As a partner of Vocational Rehabilitation, we offer students ages 15-22 with a 504 Plan or Individualized Education Plan (IEP) self-advocacy training, career preparation training, and paid work experiences. Additionally, through a grant from Orange County, we can offer enhanced services such as travel assistance like Uber vouchers, industry certifications like OSHA 10, and vocational interest career assessments where students learn how their specific skill set and interests match up with specific careers.
By participating in this year-long learning experience students will learn:
- Skills such as relationship building, goal setting, resume building, job search methods, application tips, and interviewing skills through Pre-Employment Training.
- How to advocate for one’s needs and wants, uncover one’s interests, practice positive thinking, and set realistic goals in the Self-Advocacy Workshop.
- Valuable industry skills as you gain work experience through on-the-job training with our Career Camps.
INDUSTRY SPECIFIC CERTIFICATIONS
Participants can complete certifications that make them more attractive permanent hire candidates. This includes an OSHA 10 certification, which teaches safety practices for highly skilled positions. Certifications will vary based on industry, but training support will be provided for certification training.
Travel assistance allows for an expansion in travel radius for services. Through Uber Vouchers, students who would otherwise not have the means of transportation to receive and participate in these services will now have a viable travel option at no cost to them. Utilizing these travel vouchers gives students the opportunity to more easily take part in the work experiences that are truly the best fit for them.
VOCATIONAL INTEREST CAREER ASSESSMENTS (Available In-Person and Online)
With the enhanced funding, all students will be able to receive Vocational Evaluation services and learn how their specific skillsets and interests match up with particular career paths and industries.
This is a one or two-day assessment customized for the student to assess their skills, aptitude, and interests to determine possible career paths as well as relevant post-secondary training options.
Generally, the evaluations use information regarding a student’s:
- Living situation
- Employment status and history
- Availability of transportation
- Medical history
- Abilities and limitations
WORK READINESS TRAINING (Available In-Person and Online)
Our Pre-Employment Placement Training (PPT) is a program designed to engage participants while covering topics such as self-esteem and motivational skills, verbal and non-verbal communication, “selling yourself” to a potential employer, interview skills and resume building, networking, and mock interviews. Participants will build valuable relationships with our staff and other customers as they learn how to:
- Structure a resume that matches what employers are looking for
- Conduct multiple job search methods in order to find the right job
- Overcome today’s challenges with applications and personality assessments
- Interview professionally and gain confidence in your presentation skills
SELF ADVOCACY WORKSHOP (Available In-Person and Online)
The Self-Advocacy Workshop is an interactive training where participants will learn by doing while having fun in a safe, positive environment. Much of the program is spent on what is appropriate when on the job. Role-playing methods are used to develop conflict resolutions and decision-making skills. At the end of the course, participants will have the confidence to speak for themselves and will have learned how to:
- Effectively communicate their needs and feelings
- Implement positive thinking
- Set and takes steps to achieve realistic goals
- Discover their own interests and skills
CAREER CAMPS (Available In-Person and Online)
Career Camps are a week-long experience of exploration into different career fields for students to discover there are more opportunities available to them than they ever imagined! Career Camps are hosted by employU across the state, from West Palm Beach to Jacksonville. Students who participate in this program are paid up to $50 per day while they:
- Explore career opportunities
- Gain valuable skills
- Build connections
PAID WORK-BASED EXPERIENCES
employU’s Paid Work-Based Learning Experience Program generates opportunities to gain real work experience as students earn a competitive hourly rate of $11/hour. We partner with a variety of local businesses to offer different learning experiences for each student. When a student first enrolls in our program, an employU specialist meets with them one-on-one to develop a customized plan based on their preferences.
The job coach accompanies the student on their first day of work and checks in on them regularly throughout the program duration to ensure adequate support is provided. Each experience averages between one to two months and students may repeat their participation as desired during their eligibility period. At the conclusion of each Paid Work-Based Learning experience, students have:
- Gained valuable skills
- Developed solid work references
- Built strong connections for future employment